Life Lately – September Edition!

I’m not sure about you guys, but I feel like we go through periods were life is calm, comfortable, predictable even and then BAM! Something happens and all of a sudden I am part of the crazy train. That’s how it has been since August for us. Our summer was slow and easy and then all of a sudden August hit and I felt like I was on a roller coaster and I couldn’t get off. Jason was out of town, then he was participating in Chief season, then he rolled right into 3rd shift schedule/6 days a week for work. In the meantime, we had several birthdays: my mom’s, Poppy’s, Jason’s, and Sullivan’s. I started teaching a 9 week bible study at church, my volunteer service to LILY Moms (formerly MOPS) started in September, Bible Study Fellowship began, and we were finishing up a season of sports for Sullivan. We started some diagnostic testing for Cooper, and that ran throughout August and September. It was a busy time, and since Jason was working such odd hours, I felt as if I was handling it all on my own. I’m SO glad things are finally starting to get back to normal.

That brings up to a little Life Lately: September Edition! (I’m throwing in a little bit of October, too, since I’m planning a Halloween specific recap for later this week.) I want to do a better job of documenting my life, and I think (hope) that it gives you a glimpse into who we are as a family and what we’ve been up to. Fair warning: this is a picture heavy post.

First up, this big girl. I feel as if I blinked and all of a sudden she’s a preschooler. Seriously, I dressed her one Sunday for church and as I took this picture I said – WHEN did you get so big? Where does the time go? I’m having such a hard time with her growing up because she is 100% our last baby.

Sullivan’s birthday was September 4th, which fell on Labor Day. He is still Mickey Mouse obsessed (I think I’ve used these decorations for 3 years now). We started off the day with a doughnut breakfast, had a full day of playing, and then finished off the day with a big old chocolate cake. I go big for a lot of things, but I let the kids’ birthdays be pretty low-key. We either have family over for dinner or we go out to eat, we do something fun of the birthday child’s choice, and we have cake and presents. Easy peasy! I have great memories of my Aunt Beth and the way she celebrated her children’s birthdays – she always had the family over, made a homemade cake, and it was a special celebration. Years later I remember the time we spent together, not the gifts that were given, and that’s what I want to pass on to my kids.

I’ve been a part of a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group for 3 years now. I’ve been part of the Leadership Team for 2 of those years. This year we cut our ties with MOPS and re-branded/renamed ourselves LILY Moms (Life in the Little Years). I am volunteering as Social Media Facilitator and I am also a Table Leader. I feel so passionately about supporting and empowering women, particularly those in this chaotic and crazy stage of life, so LILY Moms is a great fit for me.

Before our first meeting in September, we joined all our friends for an introductory play date and popsicles in the park.

On September 15, we finally reached the end of Chief Season and Jason was pinned! I talked a little about this journey in my August recap, but this is the culmination of years of hard work and a grueling 6 week initiation period. Cooper and I pinned on Jason’s anchors – SUCH a proud moment. I have this hope that one day the roles will reserve and Jason can do the same for Cooper.

We got a lot of laughs that day – I was consumed with pinning Jason’s anchors in the right spot, but apparently Poppy and Sullivan were being little hams to the audience.

Photo Credit: Joey Workman Photography

Jason went straight from Chief Season and pinning into an outage schedule at the plant. During an outage, he works 12 hour shifts 6 days a week, and his assigned shift was 6pm – 6am. He’d leave for work around 4:30pm (it’s an hour commute each way), work until 6:00am, come home around 7:00ish, eat, sleep until 3:30pm, and then start it all over again. We were like ships passing in the night but the great thing about the outage is that it doesn’t last forever. You can do anything for a little while, right?

This all sounds pretty positive, I know, but the reality is that I was worn down. Jason was gone for 2 weeks in early August for Navy training. He came back and went straight into Chief Season, which meant he worked his regular 9-5 and spent his evenings training and doing projects. We never saw him, at all, and then as soon as that was done he went into 4 weeks of outage in which we only saw him once a week. It was hard. I was stressed. I didn’t always handle things correctly or well, but on the plus side, all the one on one time with my kids is truly special, and Jason and I always do have a greater appreciation of one another during these times.

Even if I did want to run away the minute he returned to a his normal work schedule. HA!

It was during this time that the kids begged to go to Target to try on Halloween costumes. Sure, I said. Can we be food for Halloween? Why not, I said. I was obviously worn down and tired at this point. LOL.

Jason was working so much that he missed most of the start of the college football season. Poppy had to put on her cheerleader uniform to cheer on the Gamecocks and we sent it to Daddy since he was working. Daddy responded with a big “NO BELLY SHIRTS” rule. Poor PG. If he’s already worried about her clothing at 2 years old, her future fashion choices are looking pretty restricted.

Jason’s work was absolutely fantastic during Chief Season. They allowed him to flex his schedule, and his co-workers covered for him during outage so we could go celebrate at the Khaki Ball. I talked a little about my outfit HERE.

It was a fun night but I was unprepared for the fact that they would call the new Chiefs up to dance with their spouses in front of the crowd. Jason and I are NOT dancers. At all. I have zero rhythm and I can count on one hand the number of times we have danced as a couple. It’s just not our thing, and it isn’t like we lead a lifestyle of going to “da club” or balls, you know? So when they called us out onto the dance floor I was like — Where do my arms go? Do I loop them around your neck like I did at the 7th grade dance? Do I put one arm around your neck and hold your other hand? Are we swaying awkwardly? PLEASE GOD LET THIS SONG END.

It was terrible. We were surrounded by people with far more talent and rhythm, scooting and swaying and practically doing the dang waltz. Still, we persevered.

We just didn’t look good during the persevering.

Cooper’s school had a Fall Festival, and I rallied to take the kids. They had a Scholastic book fair at the same time so they all got to pick out a few books. Cooper has developed a new love of reading and is working his way through the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Do y’all have any other series recommendations that are not scary or supernatural? I went to the bookstore a few weeks back and the pickings were slim. Everything was either Goosebumps or vampires.

The kids all had a dentist appointment in September. This was Poppy’s first appointment. Cooper had his first cavity. BOO. Apparently it isn’t a brushing issue but the enamel didn’t form properly on his molars, and the tooth is soft and weak.

Once the outage was over, we headed to Charleston for a quick getaway. This is when we brought Saylor home!

Saylor update: she is doing SO well! She’s gained almost a pound and is eating and drinking normally. We went back to the vet last week and she had a wonderful check up. He said he would consider her fully recovered! Now that her sickness is behind us, I have to get down to business trying to potty and crate training her.

It is not going well.

We had our family pictures in October. The last time we had pictures made of the kids, Poppy was about 7 months old. We haven’t had family pictures done since I was pregnant with Poppy. I wish I had a better excuse, but I just haven’t wanted to be in pictures lately. I don’t love the way I look and the idea of capturing my flaws for years just was the last thing I wanted to do. I do know it is important, which is why we finally had them done, but being real – I would honestly just prefer not to be in the pictures at this point.

(Which if you are reading this you are probably thinking — but she takes selfies! And outfit photos! Somehow in my head it is different. My kids won’t be looking at my selfies in 25 years, but they will look at our family pictures. Does that make sense?)

I also signed up to participate in a Jesse Tree Advent ornament exchange with some ladies at church. This is the devotional we will be using. Let me know if you want more information on how this works!

Whew, if you’ve made it through this whole post thanks for reading.

I want to know – what has your family been up to lately?


  1. I just love your writing style – your description of the dancing scene had me snorting coffee at my desk – I love it!! And, I’m sure you didn’t look 1/10000th as bad as you felt. In reality? No one dances well unless they are a pro…so the rest of us are all equal! So glad that Saylor is doing well, and that the hectic time are slowing down for you!

Speak Your Mind